3stylelife

This blog has closed. Follow me to 3stylelife. Thanks - Barry

Friday, July 11, 2008

Outfit Analysis Portal

In an effort to bring some regularity to this fashion blog, I’m embarking on a series of fashion posts called Outfit Analysis. The basic idea is that multiple times a week, I’ll get dressed in the morning, drive over to a public place, and have a real person (read: not myself) take a picture of the outfit I’m wearing, possibly comment on it, and then include it in the blog. I’ll then provide an analysis of the outfit, outlining the goals it intends to achieve, how well it achieves those goals, and why this is the case. The why, of course, is the most important part, and unfortunately the part I find most often lacking in other fashion writing.


Often, I’ll intentionally make mistakes with the outfits, so that they do not optimally realize their goals. This seems silly, especially since I’m publishing these outfits for the world to see! However, I’ve found that a lot of learning comes out of experiencing something that you think is correct, but then learn to be wrong (I believe the technical term is cognitive dissonance). The mistakes will not always be glaring or obvious; this will hopefully add some depth to all our understanding of fashion.


Let’s outline how this process is going to work.


Goal(s): We’ll begin with the overarching fashion goal which the outfit intends to achieve.


Pieces: Here I’ll list the pieces of the outfit, and purchase information (if I know it)


Pictures: Pictures of the outfit will go here, preceding the discussion.

.

Victories: We’ll then discuss how the pieces work individually, and together, to achieve the goal.


Failures: Next, we consider what parts of the outfit detract from the overall effect, and why. Some (but certainly not all) of these will be intentional.


Comments: If anyone, including the photographer, makes comments about the outfit, they’ll be recorded here (anonymously if I only overhear them).


Credit: If the photographer wishes to be named, I’ll think him/her here.


As is my standard, this page will also become a linking portal for all things Outfit Analysis.


Outfit Analysis: 7.11.8

No comments:

Share/Save/Bookmark Subscribe